window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'G-BDBYVR15NS');

Vale! “K-B” Dawson

Share this article

Kevin Dawson, Life Member of Adelaide Archery Club died on 6 January, 2016 in his 72nd year after a brief battle with cancer. Kevin started with archery at Adelaide Archery Club in 1980. From “the off” he was there at working bees and was the Club’s Equipment Officer from 1987 to 2012. He also held the positions of Assistant Recorder 1998, he was Groundsman from 1983 to 1988. In 2001, Kevin was the Club’s Sunday Field Captain. He helped many Club members over the years maintain their personal equipment. He was a perfectionist when it came to making arrows. He was an Assistant Team Manager for SA at several National Archery Championships in the 1980s. Kevin was a member of the Organising Committee of the 1987 FITA World Target Archery Championships and helped deliver a quality event at Victoria Park in Adelaide. He was a permanent fixture in assisting with Australian National Championships and Australian Masters’ Games (and similar events, including the 2007 World Police & Fire Games) held in Adelaide and at Club events. He was made a Life Member of Adelaide Archery Club in 1996. In 2006, Kevin received ARCHERY SA’s Certificate Award as a member of the Organising Committee for the highly successful Australian National Championships and National Indoor Championships in 2000 and the Australian National Indoor Championships series held at The Parks in 2002-2005. Kevin was always there to lend a hand; not wishing to hog the spotlight, but just to make sure events ran as they should. He was the consummate and a dedicated volunteer. He could be a contrary person at times, not to upset the apple-cart, but rather to ensure that all aspects of an issue were properly interrogated. He didn’t suffer fools, but he always had a twinkle in his eye. Kevin was a very private person who chose not to share his troubles. While this is seen by some as an admirable quality, it also meant that those closest only had an inkling of the challenges he was facing. Kevin visited the Club for the final time on 27 December. He came, said his hellos and goodbyes and, true to form, slipped away before anyone noticed. His funeral gave an insight into his private life and the high level of dedication he applied to anything he undertook. Kevin was farewelled by family, friends and large proportion of his archery family and he was sent off in style in a beautifully crafted casket adorned with images of archery.